Over the weekend, we were informed through Twitter that some users received spam to their email accounts specifically used for the TeamSeesmic newsletter. After working directly with certain users – collecting and assessing the information – we contacted our email newsletter provider, Aweber, to help us investigate and address this issue.
Yesterday, Aweber released this statement on their blog:
In essence, Aweber was a victim of vulnerabilities, and the issue was limited to areas where subscriber email addresses were stored for all their clients.
We're still working with Aweber to get as much detailed information as we can to help us understand the situation, including if and/or how you are specifically impacted. Other items to point out:
- Aweber has assured us that the vulnerabilities have been closed.
- While many other companies were affected, for Seesmic related issues, this is impacting only email addresses signed up for the TeamSeesmic newsletter.
- Our TeamSeesmic community site is separate from the newsletter and not impacted by this incident.
- All of our Seesmic products are completely separate and not impacted at all.
- We are assessing this situation very closely including potential alternative email solutions.
If you have received spam because of this incident, we sincerely apologize that this has happened. Our trust with you is the most important part of our relationship in trying to deliver the best products and services to you. We're very upset about this incident, especially since we try to be as diligent about our own approach to spam on Twitter. We will continue to follow up to get more information for you and will do our best to regain your trust as we work together, continuing to provide the best products for you. If anything, we’ll try to work even harder.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our Community Evangelist, John Yamasaki, at yama [at] seesmic [dot] com, and he will do his best to work with you to address any concerns you have.
If there are questions or concerns that he is unable to answer, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at loic [at] seesmic [dot] com.